|Degree||Doctorate in Economics from Tokyo University|
|Phone||+81 6 6605 2260|
|wakamori at econ.osaka-cu.ac.jp (please replace “at” with “@”)|
- 1995 B.A. : Osaka City University (Economics)
- 1997 M.A. : Tokyo University (Economics)
- 2012 Ph.D. : Tokyo University (Economics)
- 2001-2006 : Lecturer, Department of Economics, Tokyo Metropolitan University
- 2006-2012 : Associate Professor, Faculty of Urban Liberal Arts, Tokyo Metropolitan University
- 2012-2015 : Associate Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Osaka City University
History of Political Economy
My research field is social and economic history of interwar period, especially focusing on Karl Polanyi’s thought. Polanyi’s main work is The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our time (the first version was published in 1944). I have been trying to make his thought clear, and always think about how his theory can be meaningfully applied to today’s uncertain world.
Message to Students
In university life, it is important to deeply question how much deeper you can ask and deepen your thought rather than how quickly you find the answer efficiently. The time to decipher classics with fellows and teachers will be treasure of your life. I want to support it.
History of Economic Thought, Social and Political Thought, Contemporary Capitalism
Embedded Economy, Institutional Economics, Community and Society, New-liberalism, Welfare, Well-being, Gift, Debt, Neoliberalism, Freedom and Peace, Geopolitics
Affiliated Academic Organizations
Japan Society for the History of Economic Thought; Society for the History of Social Thought; Japan Society for Evolutionary Economics
- Midori Wakamori (2011) Karl Polanyi: Shijoshakai・Minshushugi・Ningen no Jiyu [Karl Polanyi: Market Society, Democracy, and Human Freedom], NTT Publishing.
- Midori Wakamori (2015) Karl Polanyi no Keizaigaku Nyumon: Posuto Shinjiyushugi Jidai no Shiso [An Introduction to Karl Polanyi’s Economics: Post Neo-liberal Thought], Heibonsha. (Translated into Korean in 2016)